Every year the holidays come quicker and quicker. I find myself thinking about pumpkins and halloween decorations when the month is already half over! So this year I wanted to add spooky touches around my house with things I already had, like these lanterns, in a way that didn’t require me to completely redecorate. Here are my quick and easy ideas!
This is a lantern I received this year for my birthday. It still had the silver and green ribbon tied to it from the gift wrap. My entrance table had a variety of unexpected halloween colors so I decided to leave the green!
- Plastic dollar store skeleton attached with twine
- Jeweled spider broach (for sparkle)
- Poison scrapbook paper cut out and paper punched
- Gift wrap ribbons
Make this nautical black iron lantern with crackle glass spooky enough for a witch’s lair.
- Black and silver necklace draped over glass
- Curiosities scrap book tag
- Plastic black cat tape measure I had in a drawer
- Sun face charm from an old broken necklace
- Black ribbon from my ribbon box
Ok, so technically this isn’t a lantern but I bought this antique Vegabond thermos from Water Street Vintage and it has been hanging out on my console with an old toolbox and this toy jeep.
- Another dollar store plastic skeleton
- Butterfly cut from scrapbook paper
- An oak leaf from outside
And a kitschy key-chain I had stashed in a jewelry box. It plays the Twilight Zone theme song when you push the bottons of the old-school tv set.
And there you have my quick decorating DIY! If you’re like me, then you recognized things like- ribbon box, found in a drawer, broken necklace, stashed in a jewelry box…Why have I kept all these oddities for all this time? For moments like these! It feels good to have made this festive decor with things I had laying around!
How about you? Have any decorating secrets or repuposed stuff from junk drawers successfully?